|Scaffolding Rental: $15-$50 per day||4' Mini-Scaffolding: $80-$300||Larger Scaffolding: $200-$2,000+|
A scaffold is a platform that raises a worker or workers plus needed equipment to higher levels. Scaffolding can vary from a plank secured between two ladders to an erector-set-like metal and wood structure, usually with steel or aluminum tubes.
Related articles: Painting a House, Painting an Interior, Window Cleaning, Siding
- Renting scaffolding can cost $15-$50 a day or $40-$150 or more a week, depending on location and the size and type of scaffolding. Rates may be daily, weekly or monthly; and by the piece (separate charges for each frame section, each wheel and each guard rail) or as a complete kit. For example, Best Rental in Colorado charges $18 a day or $52 a week for a 6' high and 6' long wheeled scaffolding section (known as bakers scaffolding) that adjusts from 28"-70" high, with stabilizers at $2 daily or $7 weekly and guard rails at $3 daily or $8 weekly. Rent All of Glynn in Georgia charges $15 weekly or $22 monthly for a 5' high, 5' wide and 7' long scaffolding section; $6.50 weekly or $9.50 monthly for a 7' aluminum walk-board; and $5 weekly or $7.50 monthly for each 8" caster/wheel. Adams Rentals in New Jersey charges $115-$135 a week for a 10'-15' rolling tower kit.
- If just a little more height is needed, a workbench that converts into a low scaffold can cost $35-$350 or more depending on size and capacity. For example, the Werner Portable Work Platform holds 225 pounds and costs $35-$45, while at Amazon, the Vika 2-in-1 Workbench and Scaffold Model 21010 holds up to 500 pounds, includes a 3-outlet power strip and costs $150.
- It typically costs $300-$800 or more for an aluminum folding ladder that separates into two pieces to support an aluminum platform/plank. For example, the Little Giant Ladder Type Alta-One Model 22 costs $260 and the 6' telescoping plank and other needed accessories cost $210, for a total cost of $470.
- Expect to pay $80-$300 for a 4' wheeled mini-scaffolding unit, depending on materials and weight capacity. The stainless steel Werner 4' Portable Rolling Scaffolding PS-48 with locking safety wheels holds 500 pounds (250 pounds per plank) and costs $100 at Home Depot .
- Larger and heavier-duty scaffolding units can cost $200-$2,000 or more depending on materials, size (height and length of scaffolding plus width of work platform) and capacity. For example, at Home Depot the Fortress Industries 6'x29"x6" Drywall Scaffold Unit with 5" casters with safety brakes will support up to 1,000 pounds and costs $458, while the Fortress Industries 7'x5'x10'8" Rolling Scaffold Tower holds 2,000 pounds and costs $1,171.
What should be included:|
- Most erector-set-style scaffolding comes in pieces and has to be assembled. Since scaffolding can be big and bulky, assembly is easier with an assistant. The Family Handyman magazine explains how to set up scaffolding safely and estimates that assembling one or two scaffolding sections typically takes 15-30 minutes. An Ask The Builder video illustrates how to set up outdoor scaffolding.
- The Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety explains what to check before using a scaffold . and how to use it safely.
- Small sections of scaffolding can usually be transported in a pickup truck or large van. For larger scaffolding, rental centers typically charge a delivery fee of $50-$150 or more, depending on size and distance.
Shopping for scaffolding:
- DoItYourself.com explains how to build wood scaffolding . Materials might cost $25-$100, depending on scaffolding size and type of wood used, but if the scaffold is temporary the wood can be re-used in other projects.
- A DannyLipford.com video shows how to create staircase scaffolding using two ladders and a 2"x12" plank.
- Used scaffolding can typically be bought at a considerable discount. For example, ScaffoldFrame.com offers used scaffolding pieces or sections for $9-$90 each, and ScaffoldingMatters.com lists tips for choosing secondhand scaffolding .
- Scaffolding can be rented at most home improvement centers like Home Depot or Lowe's (although availability varies by location); from companies like Hertz Equipment Rentals , RSC Equipment Rental or Sunbelt Rentals ; or search the American Rental Association's RentalHQ.com (scaffolding is under General Tool/DIY) for local rental centers.
- Scaffolding is sold by building supply companies; at home improvement centers like Home Depot or Lowe's ; or through online retailers like Amazon .
Forgotten Expenses In a Home Addition Budget
Items like construction costs, permit fees or debris removal aren't the only expenses to consider when calculating the total costs of a home remodeling project. || Posted August 5 2013
8 Ways to Stretch Your Reduced Food Budget
End of the year budgets are tight for everyone, especially in this economy.It's especially hard for the millions of Americans who depend on government programs like food stamps to help make ends meet. || Posted November 11 2013
What People Are Paying - Recent Comments
More Home and Garden Topics
Search Thousands of Topics on CostHelper.com