|Low: Stock Sizes $20-$200 per pair||Medium: Custom Sizes $50-$320 per pair||High: Handcrafted $600-$4,000 per pair|
Exterior window shutters cover windows from the outside, providing privacy, energy savings, style and some protection from weather. Most exterior shutters are made of wood or vinyl, and come in a variety of styles. Storm (hurricane) shutters are used in areas where hurricanes can break exposed glass.
Related articles: Painting a House, Handyman, Landscape Design
- Wooden or vinyl exterior window shutters in stock sizes cost $20-$200 per pair of panels. Price depends on materials, size, and brand name. Home improvement stores like Home Depot carry exterior window shutters in a range of styles.
- Custom size exterior shutters can cost from $50-$320 per pair of panels, depending on size, materials used, and quality of construction. ReadyShutters and Shutter Land let customers order custom sized shutters within specific parameters based on style and materials.
- Designer branded, handcrafted exterior window shutters cost $600-$4000 per pair of panels. Companies such as Timberlane can provide matches to existing shutters, historically accurate shutters, hand-forged hardware, exotic hardwoods, and precise decorative details.
- Storm shutters cost $40-$400 per panel. Metal hurricane shutters can cost $40-$100, while certified reinforced/treated fabric hurricane shutters cost $50-$400 per panel. Home improvement stores also sell hurricane shutters. Check a local Lowes or online at Stormshutters.com or Hurricane Depot .
What should be included:|
- Stock size exterior window shutters include a pair of shutters and all needed installation hardware. Exterior shutters may be painted or stained, or may come uncolored so homeowners can paint them to match or compliment the exterior home paint colors.
- Designer custom exterior window shutters should include necessary installation hardware, plus any additional hardware and decorative features purchased.
- Complete service from a specialty window treatment retailer should include initial measuring for the exterior shutters, the shutters themselves, installation of the shutters, testing of mobility and function, and cleanup.
- Shutter locks keep exterior window shutters closed despite wind and storms. Locks cost $5-20, depending on quality and style.
- Decorative hardware can cost extra, from $8-$22 each.
- Motorized exterior window shutters cost $800-$1000 per window and up. Motorized exterior window shutters can be opened and closed from inside the house using a wall switch or a remote control.
- Professional installation of exterior shutters costs $100 and up for a complete job (whole house or all windows required), depending on the number of shutters to be installed and the complexity of the installation. Installing motorized shutters costs more, and a certified electrician may be required to run the wires from the motor to the switches or sensors (which would add to the cost).
Shopping for exterior shutters:
- DIY installation of exterior window shutters saves the cost of professional installation. This Old House provides instructions on installing exterior shutters without professional assistance.
- All About Shutters explians what exterior window shutters do, and describes different types of exterior shutters and the purpose of optional exterior shutter hardware.
- Manufacturers of stock size exterior window shutters may have websites with instructions about measuring for and installing shutters. Buying from manufacturers such as ReadyShutters or Shutter Land costs less than using a local retailer that does all measuring and installation.
- The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association explains how storm shutters work, the different types of shutters and who should install storm shutters. The South Florida Sun-Sentinel describes the different types of storm shutters, including average price per square foot.
7 Tricks To Make Home Appliances Last Longer
Give your household equipment a little workout now and then, to make sure anything mechanical will perform well when needed. Periodic exercise can extend the usable life of many items. || Posted October 14 2013
5 Important Things to Know Before a Tornado Hits
This week the Midwest has been battered by tornados, which are one of the most violent and destructive type of storms nature has in its arsenal. || Posted November 19 2013
What People Are Paying - Recent Comments
More Home and Garden Topics
Search Thousands of Topics on CostHelper.com